Saturday, May 17, 2014

Technology Intergration


 

As a future physical education teacher I feel that one technology integration idea from chapter 15 that would be specifically beneficial to my classroom for all students is audio enhancement technology.  I would enhance audio in my classroom in two ways.  As I mentioned last week, I would use an amplified microphone while teaching.  PE can be noisy and it can be difficult for students to hear the instructor.  Furthermore, students can be embarrassed to admit or even unaware that his or her hearing is impaired.  This in mind, an amplified microphone would help all students to clearly hear instructions.  Hearing loss is the most common disability in the United States, and approximately three percent of children have issues with hearing loss (Reich & Lavay, 2009, p. 39).  For those students who are hearing impaired and require even louder and clearer audio enhancement I would also use a FM amplification system, or assistive listening devices.  An FM amplification system would allow me to wear a wireless microphone and for those students who are hard of hearing to wear a receiver that would amplify my voice, making it easier for him or her to hear me and enjoy the class.  I found an interesting article from the Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and that shares the importance and explores the benefits of audio enhancement in physical education at:  http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/departments/kin/files/Lavay-PhysicalEdandSportAdaptationsforStudents.pdf

 

References:

Reich, L. M., & Lavay, B. (2009). Physical education and sport adapations for students who are hard of hearing. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, 38-43.

1 Comments:

At May 19, 2014 at 8:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I subbed at Manteno Jr high for one of the gym teachers. The class was a fitness training class with gym equipment. And 30 kids in one small room was very loud! And they were used to music to boot. I could have used a microphone to get them to switch station every 2 minutes.

I used an fm amp system for a student at Beecher Jr. High, she was kind enough to show me how it worked. I was completely unaware of it's use till then. It worked just like a mike you might see on a TV interview. The mic clipped to my shirt and the cord went down to the device in my pocket. It allowed her to participate in class easily. It might be a little clumsy in a gym class but if your used to it then it probably would become 2nd nature.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home