Sunday, May 11, 2014

Top 5 Pet Peeves of Web Design


1.  My top pet peeve has got to be clutter on a website.  If I open a website that has so much going on that I do not even know where to begin I instantly get frustrated and overwhelmed.  I definitely agree with step #6 form our reading, "Keep it Simple"!

2.  Ads are a close second for me.  If I go to a site for one thing, I do not want to be distracted with things that have nothing to do with the reason I am visiting the site.  Ads can also be very tricky!  Countless times I have attempted to click on what I thought was part of a site just to get redirected numerous times by an "undercover" ad.  Very frustrating!

3.  Becoming a member can be very time consuming and pointless as well.  Many times the information I am looking for is a onetime thing, and I do not feel the need to sign up for a membership to access it.  Along with registering always come tons of unwanted emails than no matter how many times you attempt to unsubscribe, the emails keep coming.  There have been many times where I have given in, and spent a long time registering just to get to the last page asking for credit card information, which there is no way I am providing.   

4.  Unnecessary sound effects are annoying as well.  I understand the importance of audio when used for a purpose, but sound effects for everything you click on and scroll over just makes me turn my speakers completely off.  Definitely unnecessary and a huge turn off to the site.

5.  The last pet peeve has to be too many links to other sites.  This somewhat goes along with the first one of clutter.  Opening link after link can be very confusing, to where eventually it is hard to access or even remember what the original site was.

I think when it comes to web design, less is more.  Very clear instructions and direction for the viewer, without all of the clutter, can lead to a productive experience.

2 Comments:

At May 11, 2014 at 5:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I hadn't even thought of the 'join our site' annoyance. I tend to just leave any site that requires a membership. I look elsewhere for my info. There's always another site on the web... just keep looking.

Thank you for championing the scourge that is internet ads. Hidden ads, pop-up ads and rollover ads... enough is enough! Like advertising isn't manipulative already.

 
At May 12, 2014 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Megan said...

It sounds like we have a lot of the same web design pet peeves. As Internet surfers (Is that a thing? I think I just made that up.), we are overloaded by so many ads, emails, links, and clutter. It's hard to catch our attention and even harder to keep it.

I'm hesitant to click on all sorts of links as well. If I have to, I try to open them in a new tab so I don't lose my place. Otherwise it's easy to get off track and hard to remember where you were in the first place.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home